Games Discuss anything relating to games

Old 08-02-18, 06:55 PM   #1
Selena
Community Member

Selena's community rank display

Total Donations: £0

Selena is from Norway Selena is Female
Default Scum

Hello everyone. I've been looking to get into a new game, and this one SCUM game came into view and caught my interest.

SCUM will be released as early access on Steam sometime this year.

Players take the role of the convict who is about to be dropped onto the island to fight for his/her life by participating as a new-age gladiator in the cruel horror reality show called SCUM. Surrounded by a hostile environment, even more hostile online players and hordes of AI “puppets”controlled by the TV network, players will have to find a way to get away from the island and join the rebellion forces. To earn your freedom, players will have to make alliances with other convicts, explore the island and exploit its resources, uncover hidden secrets and survive.

SCUM is a next generation story-driven survival game with single player, multiplayer and co-op survival modes.

There are a few developer blogs and I like their attention to detail and their wish to avoid cheaters.

I did like the talk about rendering. If the character can't see an opponent in first person, the opponent will not be rendered (no matter how much they turn their graphics down to try to cheat), and how wet clothing will soak other layers of clothing. The character customization looks great too, though I am really keen on the female model that will come later on.

The closest game to compare it with is DayZ apparently. We will see what the SCUM game turns out to be. A boring mess or engaging survival.

Your guys thoughts?
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 07:14 PM   #2
Selena
Community Member

Youtube Video

Youtube Video
Old 12-02-18, 03:49 AM   #3
Recon
Community Member
Former |SOG| Member

Recon's community rank display

Recon is from Russian Federation Recon is Female

The idea of the game is great. And lets hope developers will put everything of those ideas in the final release of the game. I'd defenetly try the game.
But how the experience shows very often the final version of the game is very far from what players had been promised :S
We all remember Takedown: Red Sabre hehe and i am still a bit disappointed of Escape from Tarkov.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 02:30 PM   #4
Orion
Community Member
Former |SOG| Member
Community Sponsor

Orion's community rank display

Total Donations: £25 (15/29)

Orion is from Maardu, Estonia Orion is Male

Looks interesting but I hate 3rd person view in such games

Youtube Video

And what are you talking about? Escape from Tarkov is a dream game. Cant wait for vaults!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 03:53 PM   #5
Biodome
Group Inactive Member
Community Sponsor

Biodome's community rank display

Total Donations: £25 (16/29)

Biodome is from Oslo, Norway Biodome is Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Looks interesting but I hate 3rd person view in such games
Yeah, your video shows one of the common problems, but 3rd person view isn't entirely without justification. Since human field of vision horizontally reaches about 210 degrees, 1st person view on a screen will always be too restrictive, unless you're happy with a very distorted, fish-eye-like view. Third person view, on the other hand, let's you see what's happening slightly behind you, which closer approaches what we have in reality. The exploit with seeing around corners could be eliminated with sensible programming of camera movement.

Biodome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 04:04 PM   #6
Orion
Community Member
Former |SOG| Member
Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodome View Post
Yeah, your video shows one of the common problems, but 3rd person view isn't entirely without justification. Since human field of vision horizontally reaches about 210 degrees, 1st person view on a screen will always be too restrictive, unless you're happy with a very distorted, fish-eye-like view. Third person view, on the other hand, let's you see what's happening slightly behind you, which closer approaches what we have in reality. The exploit with seeing around corners could be eliminated with sensible programming of camera movement.

Is there any game that have such tweaks with camera? So i can not just imagine what are you talking about
Old 12-02-18, 05:13 PM   #7
Biodome
Group Inactive Member
Community Sponsor

Biodome's community rank display

Total Donations: £25 (16/29)

Biodome is from Oslo, Norway Biodome is Male

Quote:
Is there any game that have such tweaks with camera? So i can not just imagine what are you talking about
I have seen gameplay videos that have this sort of intelligent camera movement, but, sadly, I don't actually recall the titles - it's been many years. I think I've seen some examples among TotalBiscuit's WTF is... series. It's a pretty rare thing, as most developers don't bother with this stuff, and those that do risk creating a really annoying and unnatural camera movement. I'm kinda waiting for VR to become a mainstream way of playing games for this reason. Might take a decade or two, but it would solve so many visual issues.
Biodome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 07:48 PM   #8
Selena
Community Member

Quote:
Looks interesting but I hate 3rd person view in such games.
Maybe these three videos can show you what the developers are thinking with their game. In my opinion, they are on the right way because you HAVE to peek to see the enemy rendered.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

In the last developer blog they also showed gradual stances, as some have mention exists in ARMA, so I don't know if anyone will find that interesting. They also added a bit of blur in third person that you can see in the vault video.

Youtube Video
Old 12-02-18, 08:06 PM   #9
Orion
Community Member
Former |SOG| Member
Community Sponsor

That is very interesting approach with detection enemies and items. What can I say? Im sold hehe
Have to have it on my list now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodome View Post
I'm kinda waiting for VR to become a mainstream way of playing games for this reason. Might take a decade or two, but it would solve so many visual issues.
No! Its already rolling like train without breaks!!! Slow but just speeding up. Check out Onward

Last edited by Orion; 12-02-18 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-02-18, 11:06 PM   #10
Selena
Community Member

Quote:
That is very interesting approach with detection enemies and items. What can I say? Im sold hehe
Have to have it on my list now
Really? Then come on the official discord server, there you will stay a bit more updated. And if you see changes you don't like, you got a voice that will reach the developers there.