Community Founder
Top 5 Community Sponsor

Matt's community rank display

Total Donations: £299 (2/29)

Matt is a top donator with the Gold medal

Matt is from Rugby, United Kingdom Matt is Male
The future GAMES of SOG... Part 1

Hi all

Folllowing our successful reboot of Special Operations Group, we are now thinking long term of our future.

SWAT4 is still our supported game due to our heritage, success and history here, and will continue to be on our communities agenda for the foreseeable future as a result.

However, we also realise that SWAT 4 is a great game, but an outdated one on many levels (being released in 2005).

Therefore, considerations need to be given into further supported games here at |SOG|.

This may I add is not an overnight decision, nor are we in any rush to make one on any future potental games. The reason is largely because supported games are the biggest and most important decisions that can be made at a community. We have done this before with mixed success and part member engagement. Therefore any game chosen for the future needs to be agreed by ALL members in the following way;

a) They have an interest in the genre or particular game
b) They have a copy installed on their system and can play it
c) They are prepared to be an active part of the game & discussions
d) Understand all members were united here by a tactical shooter. Therefore our common ground is around this genre which should be considered.

So what is the process?

Following on from this loose discussion made by Selena;

http://www.sog-team.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=85

We are wanting to formalise this a little more by asking you ONE key question baring in mind the questions above.

What ONE game would you choose to play and wish to have supported by our community?

At this stage PART 1 is just a reply to this thread to the above question. Then we will count the common games mentioned and create part 2 which will be a poll / vote.

After part 2, we will then consider through the management of SOG which games (if any) we branch into.

Please Please Please......

RESPECT THE QUESTION.... WE WANT JUST ONE GAME LISTED. POSTS WILL BE DELETED FOR MENTIONING SEVERAL.

THE REASON THIS IS STRICT IS BECAUSE YOU NEED TO REALLY THINK.... THINK VERY HARD ABOUT WHAT GAME WOULD SUIT YOU & SOG!!!!!

Part One thread ends and will be closed on 01/03/2018

|SOG|Matt
Group Founder
Old 09-02-18, 10:28 AM   #2
Trollzilla
Community Member

Trollzilla's community rank display

Total Donations: £0

Trollzilla is from Poland Trollzilla is Male

I can recommend Insurgency for several reasons:
- CQB is intense and unforgiving which encourages teamwork; SWAT looks like rambo heaven by comparison
- By far, the most immersive combination of sound design and game mechanics in a video game
- Variety of game modes including several coop modes with terrifiyngly smart AI
- Doesn't require a powerful PC or a ton of DLCs like most modern titles

Sequel is coming soon which is great timing.
Old 09-02-18, 10:54 AM   #3
Tyrope
Group Senior Member

Tyrope's community rank display

Tyrope is from United Kingdom Tyrope is Male

I've heard the title a few times on the forums, and I've recently gotten back into this one... so..

disclaimer: Any bias shown in strike through it to be taken as a joke, and an indication of which faction I play.

PlanetSide 2 is a free-to-play MMOFPS, based on a planetary war between 3 factions: The almighty Vanu Sovereignty, the terrible Terran Republic and the New Conglomerate terrorists.
The gameplay is a "Capture the point" system, Auraxis is separated into 5 unique continents, one of which (Koltyr) locked away once you hit BattleRank16.
The other four are Amerish (Lush), Esamir (Ice), Hossin (Swamp), and Indar (Hilly).
Each continent has a hex grid over it, all map "sections" are made out of several hexes, surrounding a base/outpost that players can capture.
There are many types of small outposts, and they're mostly designed to link up the 3 major types of bases:
Bio Labs: These domed structures are on giant pillars, making it impossible for vehicles to enter these. If you want to capture a bio lab, bring infantry, and lots of it. If your faction owns at least 1 bio lab on the continent you're fighting, you'll get some juicy passive health regeneration
Tech Plants: These large bases have 1 very distinct building: The tower. The tower's top layer can be harassed by air units easily, and the bottom floor is visible to land vehicles.. but like any base, without boots on the ground you're not going to grab these babies. These are the bases that make your faction's main battle tank. So unless you want to drive one all the way from your warpgate, make sure you control 1 of these on the continent (which will unlock MBT's from most if not all vehicle spawners). And you're going to need MBT's to successfully capture a base..
Amp Stations: These sprawling mini-cities are covered in shields, preventing vehicles to come in unless you destroy the shield generators. A good air support will make it easier for your front line soldiers to get to those shield generators, after which the cavalry will ensure they stay down.. assuming your team's doing well and has enough manpower. The benefit of owning Amp Stations is that the Phalanx turrets on bases fire colder, meaning they fire more bullets before overheating... An excellent buff to have in defence.

Okay, so it's not quite the small scale tactics that we're used to in SWAT4, but on the ground you don't usually look at faction warfare as a whole. On the ground, you're still aligned to The Vanu one of the three factions, so naturally you'll have a bunch of allies, but the real tactics come into Squad and Platoon play.

Squads are a maximum of 10 members, numbered *,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. The star being squad lead, sometimes called "One". Once a squad gets enough members, the Squad Leader can decide to move members to other squads, forming a platoon. Platoons are split into Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta squad. Effectively turning each member into a combination of [letter][number], "Alpha Star" being the platoon leader.

[Maybe to be edited later]
Old 09-02-18, 11:29 AM   #4
Orion
Community Member
Former |SOG| Member
Community Sponsor

Orion's community rank display

Total Donations: £25 (15/29)

Orion is from Maardu, Estonia Orion is Male

Arma 3

I dont see anything that can fit better than that. Its simple and its complicated at same time. Depends how you want it to be. Want it to be hardcore tactical team game tweak it as you wish. Tired of hardcorness go for some fun modes ( cart racing, plane trainings and lot of other activitys besides missions ) Game is very flexible. And since now it supports own launcher where you can search for mods and install them without 3rd party programs making game even more friendly to use.
Old 09-02-18, 04:51 PM   #5
Nicoleise
Group Manager
Discord Server Manager

Nicoleise's community rank display

Nicoleise is from Denmark Nicoleise is Male

As for current games; I would upvote "Insurgency" as suggested by TrollZilla. It is by far the most Swat-like game in my Steam at the moment, and still offers a different experience.

If the discussion lasts long enough though, there are also upcoming releases that I would rather suggest.
Old 09-02-18, 09:23 PM   #6
Hailerer
Group Member

Hailerer's community rank display

Hailerer is from Gelnhausen, Germany Hailerer is Male

I can recommend Project Reality.
Been playing the mod back in BF2 and been playing the standalone ever since its release.
It's free to download and relies on teamwork and tactics heaviely.

(god I butched some words there...I'm tiered...)
Old 10-02-18, 03:22 AM   #7
Michael
Community Sponsor

Michael's community rank display

Total Donations: £87 (8/29)

Michael is a top donator with the Bronze medal

Michael is from United States Michael is Male

Anyone remember EM4/911:FR, it's on Steam as 911:FR for $5 and I'm downloading it right now
Old 10-02-18, 08:59 AM   #8
sander
Community Manager
Community Sponsor

sander's community rank display

Total Donations: £63 (10/29)

sander is from Bemmel, Netherlands sander is Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Anyone remember EM4/911:FR, it's on Steam as 911:FR for $5 and I'm downloading it right now
yea nico and i edited the lamod files a bit to make Mp work a bit better. still a lot of trafic jams
Old 27-02-18, 12:43 AM   #9
Matt
Community Founder
Top 5 Community Sponsor

Matt's community rank display

Total Donations: £299 (2/29)

Matt is a top donator with the Gold medal

Matt is from Rugby, United Kingdom Matt is Male

Just a reminder, thread closes in a few days.

If you have not commented yet with your game ideas, please do so to allow the votes to commence.

Cheers

|SOG|Matt
Group Founder
Old 28-02-18, 03:23 PM   #10
Demon speed
Top 5 Community Sponsor

Demon speed's community rank display

Total Donations: £505 (1/29)

Demon speed is a top donator with the Gold medal

Demon speed is from Rybnik, Poland Demon speed is Male

Never played but seen gameplay - Insurgency. Closet my favorite type games.
Closed Thread