Games Discuss anything relating to games

Old 18-08-20, 01:50 PM   #1
SAS_Random
Community Member

SAS_Random's community rank display

Total Donations: £0

SAS_Random is from Boston, United States SAS_Random is Male
Default Tactical Candy: The Stack

I have decided to share my latest musings. Feel free to discuss and debate. I'm always up for a good fight ;-)

SWAT 4: The Stack

Formation

Point/Scout = 1, Cover = 2, Lead = 3, Breacher/2IC = 4, Rear = 5

Elements may consist of smaller or larger numbers, but these are the roles that must be determined for each element. Some operators may assume more than one role as the mission dictates.

Theory

A considerable amount of time is spent forming the stack, covering from the stack, and deploying from the stack. It can be frustrating trying to integrate someone unfamiliar with these theories and principles into an element. I thought it would be beneficial to spend some time on what roles and responsibilities are, and to provide the 'why' behind the 'what'.

Properly stacked elements result in smooth, efficient, and safe room entry, room dominance, and room clearance. Properly stacked elements are coordinated in action and aligned in thought. Properly stacked elements reduce their vulnerability to attack before, during, and after room clearing tactics are employed.

Principles

The Stack may take many forms, depending upon the layout of the area and the knowledge of the objective room's layout. The Stack is not a 'one size fits most' configuration, however, there are many similarities. Regardless, The Stack is the form the element uses to defend itself while it Orients, Plans, and Executes room entries and other tactical movements. Any stack that fails to accomplish this, must be re-evaluated and corrected before the element may continue.

Orientation

Decide knob side, hinge side, or both sides
Decide general configuration of the available operators
Establish tactical distance from the entry way that minimizes exposure if the door is opened from the inside
Establish tactical spacing between operators that allows each operator to fulfill his role and responsibilities for coverage of front, rear and flanks.
Planning

Leader decides on Opti-Wand, Scan, or Immediate action
Point/Scout determines and reports Locked/Unlocked status of the door
Leader determines balance between Surprise, Speed, and Aggression for the given situation
Leader determines if an 'initiate' or 'go' command is needed, then issues entry orders
Execution

At this point, just prior to entry orders being issued, the following conditions must be met:

Point is covering the doorway and forward
Cover is covering forward and flank
Breacher is covering direction of travel
Rear is covering the rear and flank
Lead is peripherally reviewing the element for status and positioning while being aware of the flanks
Employ prescribed room entry, dominance, clearance, and security tactics from the SOPs.

Pro Tips

Point/Scout: bring a breaching shotgun, check and report the status of every closed door, stand just within operation of the door and take a quick step backward once the door is set in motion, use the Cover's camera view, always be prepared to fire at threats coming from the doorway, be mentally prepared to react instantly to an entry command or visual and auditory cues (like a grenade being deployed into the room), do not move between the time a pin is pulled and a grenade is deployed.

Cover: give the point a step to retreat when the door is manually set into motion, use the Lead's camera view, be ready to visually scan the doorway upon command from the Lead, keep track of your grenade type and count as the mission progresses, report when out of a specific tactical aid before you are asked to use one, deploy the grenade from the same spot which the pin is pulled.

Lead: use 2's camera view, cover 2 when he's unarmed, cover the flank when 2 is covering or scanning the doorway

Breacher: be thinking of what comes next in case Lead goes down, use Lead's camera view (if it goes red, you are in charge!), bring a breaching shotgun as secondary weapon, carry at least three C2 charges, during the room entry stay in the hall and cover the current direction of travel, be ready to support the entry team if trailers are called.

Rear: cover the previous direction of travel, use the Breacher's camera view or the Lead's camera view if operating without a Breacher, be ready to collapse into the doorway and cover the hall from there if the Breacher is needed for room entry duties.

Last edited by SAS_Random; 22-08-20 at 02:05 AM.
SAS_Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-20, 09:28 PM   #2
Matt
Community Founder
Top 5 Community Sponsor

Matt's community rank display

Total Donations: £299 (2/29)

Matt is a top donator with the Gold medal

Matt is from Rugby, United Kingdom Matt is Male

Thanks for posting this, been a long time since we saw your contributions

I like the theory of every member of the unit having a clear responsibility, whether that be lead / point rear guard etc. I find it frustrating really that this method though cannot come to life in many public servers. It can however be used on private servers with all the team using voice.

So my opinion would be yes - great, this is defintely the way forward for the stacking operation. However in reality, usage limited. Maybe you could share how you have brought this to life?

|SOG|Matt
Group Founder
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-20, 09:08 AM   #3
Ninwes
Community Manager
Top 5 Community Sponsor

Ninwes's community rank display

Total Donations: £225 (4/29)

Ninwes is a top donator with the Silver medal

Ninwes is from Europe Ninwes is Male

Yes on private servers it is much doable with everyone on voip and i always see myself as a rear as i always move myself backways with the team covering.
Old 22-08-20, 02:01 AM   #4
SAS_Random
Community Member

SAS_Random's community rank display

Total Donations: £0

SAS_Random is from Boston, United States SAS_Random is Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
"... Maybe you could share how you have brought this to life?"
This is mostly from SAS Selection Course training material from 'back in the day.' I have tweaked it to include some of the 'more recent' information like scanning and checking doors.

I took the material and also condensed it into, what I believe are, concise and easy to grasp ideas.

I decided to release it on this site, as well as the SAS site, because it's stuff that I'm constantly being frustrated with while playing in servers. With the release of SEF 7.0, there have been a lot of new players--not just the regular die hard SWAT players. So I can send people to this site and/or to the SAS site--depending upon which server I'm in.

When we used to patrol the SAS Proving Grounds for the purpose of identifying and refining potential candidates to join SAS, everyone not assigned a role with the official training of recruits, would spend time instilling these basics into the Recruits so they could function better when one of their personal one hour training sessions were held. The Recruits would spend more of their training time actually training and less time learning or having things explained to them. Life would be very boring for LCpls and Cpls if they had to go over all of this material with every recruit we had.

It's been a long time since I've posted 'Tactical Candy' and I thought some of you may have needed a little something to satisfy your 'sweet tooth.'

Enjoy.
SAS_Random is offline   Reply With Quote