Thread: [Swat 4] Use of Force
View Single Post
Old 08-06-18, 07:31 AM   #3
RyanCooper
Community Member

RyanCooper's community rank display

Total Donations: £0

RyanCooper is from Montreal, Canada RyanCooper is Male

I do agree with you SAS_Random on most of it, if not all. As I'm canadian and trained in Quebec, we do have some differences with U.S. use of force continuum. Overall, it is very similar. The main difference is how the population reacts to the use of force.

The use of intermediate weapons (less lethal options) is always preferred to lethal force, but is not mandatory. It can happen to jump from "Officer presence" to "Lethal force" in 2 seconds depending on the situation. Also, keep in mind that if the suspect represents a risk of grievous bodily harm or death, you should always have a lethal option ready to be deployed but that does not restrict you of using another technique/tactic.

I agree that communication with a suspect should always be present during the whole intervention. Although, just like the force options, it is possible to neglect its use if needed. I would be comfortable to explain why I used an intermediate weapon without any compliance order if that warning could have forced me to use lethal force. Keep in mind that if you do not identify yourself as the police, a suspect could be justified to use force against you.

Use of force is all about your perception and tactical consideration.

As for this game now, I do agree that giving a compliance order before using any force is closer to reality and gives a bit more challenge to the game.

P.S.: I joined my use of force wheel translated in English.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AD3.jpg (41.8 KB, 29 views)