Games Discuss anything relating to games

Old 09-05-18, 10:58 AM   #1
SAS_Random
Community Member

SAS_Random's community rank display

Total Donations: £0

SAS_Random is from Boston, United States SAS_Random is Male
Default Tactical Candy: Crouching Pointman; Hidden Realism

Many gaming clans typically train the point man to crouch instead of stand. But we should really examine why we do this. I think if we take a close look, we will find it's a flawed practice that we should largely abandon.

Every time I ask someone why the point is crouched and the answer is always, so the cover can shoot over him or so tactical aids can be deployed. These are not really good reasons, since crouching is just a lazy way to accomplish something that can be done as effectively and more realistically by having point stand.

I've even refused to crouch on some servers just to check reactions and people say things like, "Well, when you get shot, you will know why." or "If you don't crouch, I'll just shoot you for not following orders." or "Rules on this server say you must follow the leader's orders." This is head-in-the-sand blind observance of a tactic that is fundamentally flawed.

Having the point crouched often allows the cover get away with the wrong things and instills bad habits. In my opinion, the only time the cover should be behind point and covering 12 is when the point is without a weapon i.e. reloading, picking a lock, deploying a breaching shotgun, C2, etc. In these cases or when the point is trying to use available cover/concealment, he should be crouched. Otherwise, standing is preferred.

When traveling down a hallway, the cover should be offset or in an echelon position toward the the center of the hall. Again, no need to crouch unless trying to use available low cover or concealment.

The cover man should be focused on the flank side that has the greatest potential for danger. If there are no doors, windows, or doorways then the cover man can assist forward by setting up off the point's outer shoulder, not over his head. Cover man can also take up that outer shoulder position to deploy tactical aids. If the point is stacked up properly and not obstructing the doorway, then there is no reason for point to crouch for these actions.

If the cover man can't get an angle to throw a tactical aid, it's not a posture problem, it's a point positioning problem. Often having point take one step backward along the wall gives the cover man an absolutely perfect look at the doorway to toss the bang.

A disciplined point should not be making wild movements left or right, or fidgeting forward or back causing his head to bob up and down, so this should not be a friendly fire risk.

A tactic of point crouched should never be followed simply to offset any lack of fire discipline or movement discipline of our assault team.

Additionally, have you tried to walk crouched in real life for more than a minute, it's F-ing difficult. It's not sustainable and it's unrealistic.

Have I missed anything important? I don't think so. Take a few minutes to really focus on this practice of point crouched and I think your tactical mind will lead you to the promised land.
SAS_Random is offline   Reply With Quote