Old 09-05-18, 12:58 AM   #1
SAS_Random
Community Member

SAS_Random's community rank display

Total Donations: £0

SAS_Random is from Boston, United States SAS_Random is Male
Default Tactical Candy: Scan by Point vs Cover

UPDATED:

There is a scan tactic based on the classic angular search technique common to stealth room to room searching. It's very helpful in small team CQB and also helpful when quickly bypassing open doors to get to a more immediate or important objective.

The scan has traditionally been performed by the Coverman in SWAT4. The player begins strafing across an open doorway to check for threats in a room about to be searched or bypassed.

In the old method...
-if a tango was seen during the scan, the Coverman would move back into formation trying to avoid being compromised. The team would then be able to execute dynamic entry.
-if no threat was detected, the team would continue into the room using stealth entry tactics, or bypass the room entirely and move on.

The problem I see with using the Coverman to scan/strafe the opening is one of coverage to the Coverman's flank while scanning beyond 90 degrees to the opening. The Pointman is trying to keep forward coverage, but the Coverman will, at some point, cross the muzzle of the Pointman.

I would recommend...
The Coverman would set up on the outside shoulder of the Pointman, and while the Pointman scans the opening, the Coverman moves with him keeping the forward covered. This will also work for full sized teams of 4 and 5.

If the team is compromised in any direction, issue compliance and engage as needed.

If the decision is made to work the room, the Pointman would enter first, followed closely by the Coverman, then the Rear Guard would collapse into the doorway to cover the hall. To exit the room after it's cleared, whomever enters first would leave last since he probably had the deepest penetration into the room. The Rear Guard would become the Pointman as the team moves on.

Last edited by SAS_Random; 12-08-23 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Updated Tactic
SAS_Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 04:53 AM   #2
colt.1993
Group Member

colt.1993's community rank display

colt.1993 is from Gaza, Palestinian Territory colt.1993 is Male

WOW!!
Hey mate ,
You Should show me some of your tacticts ingame , hope we can play some round soon and get some candy from you
colt.1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 09:36 AM   #3
Orion
Community Member
Former |SOG| Member
Community Sponsor

Orion's community rank display

Total Donations: £25 (15/29)

Orion is from Maardu, Estonia Orion is Male

Once again good stuff mate.

Something that I see often. For me people overusing it as with optiwands. What is the first thing you have to consider before stacking to the door? To actually clear it! Chances of clearing room successfully are much higher if you still got that moment of surprise. Scanning or military 'Slicing the Pie'. I got doubts in that tactic and how its used in swat. Slicing the Pie in military is very effective if you do it right. Point of it to see whats inside and if any threat visible you can engage at sight. In Swat game I see that as a problem First of all is that most liekly you gonna have civilians in there means that players start screaming or move so slow while Slicing the Pie that they blowing their cover and make suspect act unpredictably, what is lowering your chances. For small rooms is a no go for sure, faster and better clear it with breaching shotgun and a bang. Bigger rooms you still can do with double breach and same 'bang and clear'
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 10:24 AM   #4
SAS_Random
Community Member

SAS clan train to use this tactic until contact/ compromise, then it's dynamic the rest of the way. If we change floors/levels, we can often transition to stealth. Another thing we do is try to hit as many rooms in the same hall simultaneously because rolling bang and clears is sort of silly when you get down to it.
Old 09-05-18, 11:43 AM   #5
Orion
Community Member
Former |SOG| Member
Community Sponsor

Orion's community rank display

Total Donations: £25 (15/29)

Orion is from Maardu, Estonia Orion is Male

Heavily depends on numbers. In airsoft we usually dont clear more then 2 rooms if we less than 3. If we got more then 2- one is always covering our exit from room. If we talking about whole building then we not getting even close to it unless we got 8-10 people
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 08:22 PM   #6
SAS_Random
Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
...one is always covering our exit from room. If we talking about whole building then we not getting even close to it unless we got 8-10 people
I was thinking about room clearing the other day and got into a discussion about rules for entry and rules for maintaining control of an area. It may lead to another post ;-)

You are right about leaving at least one person to watch the rear. Typically, the rear guard or the rear security team/pair will control the hall. If only one person is available for that duty, he will usually stand in the doorway and continually sweep his view in both directions without flagging the doorway with his muzzle. If there are two, then one is pointed in either direction. If near a T intersection, one takes one end of the Top of the T, the other is at his back and takes the remaining two directions that are 90 degrees apart.

Most of this depends upon where the assault teams are working and how they are currently configured.

Sometimes in game, I'll slice the pie a lot if I'm alone or with people that don't enter rooms properly. I try to conserve tactical aids because I may need them and not have them. (I do wish that Ready or Not allows scavenging for gear. There should be no reason not to be able to grab flashbangs from a downed officer.)
Old 28-12-20, 12:16 PM   #7
SAS_Random
Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS_Random View Post
...For 3 man teams, the 3rd man must cover the rear. In this situation, if the door is closed, I would recommend the coverman set up on the other side of the door to cover that direction, while the pointman opens and scans....

...(I do wish that Ready or Not allows scavenging for gear. There should be no reason not to be able to grab flashbangs from a downed officer.)
Another option to this, for opened or closed doors is the wingman tactic, you may or may not be familiar with. It's currently popular with SWAT teams. It's an updated tactic that can replace slicing the pie on corners or doorways. It's essentially a two man scan. The cover man gets close to the pointman's outside shoulder, being careful not to extend his muzzle beyond the pointman's shoulder. He does not want to give suspects in the room the pointman is scanning any visual cues like a muzzle flag. The wingman/coverman proceeds up the hall as the pointman scans. They move as one. This ensures the team is covered to the forward without having to risk shooting the pointman. The pointman must be sure to not take such a deep path/arc that would cut off the wingman's ability to move forward with him.

The second part of the quote I find hilarious because we were talking about Ready or Not that has been in production for years and is still only in Alpha. Maybe 2021 will be the year. I don't listen to their press. I'll just wait and see what happens.

Happy New Year, SOG.

Last edited by SAS_Random; 28-12-20 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-08-23, 11:48 PM   #8
SAS_Random
Community Member

Updated Tactic