Special Operations Group
HOME FORUMS ARCADE ABOUT US SERVERS DOWNLOADS MEMBERS DONATE REGISTER
Go Back   Special Operations Group > Community Forums > Feedback
Reload this Page One Player Per IP Restriction
Like us on facebook   Follow us on instagram
Follow us on social media...
Feedback We were last around 12 yrs ago so forgive us for being a little rusty... let us know how we are doing... we'd love to improve

Old 23-04-18, 11:00 AM   #1
SAS_Random
Community Member

SAS_Random is from Milford, United States

SAS_Random is Male
Default One Player Per IP Restriction

When my son is home for the weekend and wants to do some gaming with me, we had been coming to the SOG servers, and now we can no longer do this because of an IP restriction that prevents multiple players from the same IP address.

Will we have to find other servers to play?

It seems that SOG would like strong team players in its servers as much as possible to keep the gaming experience positive.

What is the reason for the restriction? How may we apply for an exception or a change to this rule?

Also, why does such a restriction exist in the first place? Why is this the best way to combat whatever problem arises from multiple players using the same IP?

Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks.
SAS_Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-18, 07:18 PM   #2
Black
Community Member

Black is from Enschede, The Netherlands, Netherlands

Black is Male

Especially with the shrinking pool of available IPv4 address space, limiting the amount of connections per IP to only will only prove more problematic going forward.
Old 23-04-18, 07:36 PM   #3
Matt
Group Senior Manager
Group Founder

Matt is from Rugby, United Kingdom

Matt is Male

Thanks for your feedback on the issue.

Basically we restrict ips to one player on our servers due to our bot using this information, amongst other things to take actions on issues in the servers. Ip remains the most effective means of player identification available. This means it will be used to admin servers primarily, although our bot does deeper checks than this alone.

Allowing more than one player to an ip results in those players being banned etc incorrectly.

For example if player one gets banned, player two does too by default as they are using the same ip.

Therefore we would rather just eliminate the root cause, to prevent such awkward issues.

I will look into other solutions, but right now, there is no work around.

You're not the only player to complain, our member demonspeed also had issues.

Watch this space and I'll see what I can come up with. However this only affects players on the same network, with the same ip. As a result, my initial suggestion is to use different connections if possible, e.g. Two computers on two different networks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

|SOG|Matt
Group Founder
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-18, 09:06 PM   #4
Black
Community Member

Black is Male

If multiple people live together, in most places in the world "using a different network" is not an option, thus only a single one can currently play on SOG servers.

Perhaps it is an idea to still use IP bans, but not limit the number of players for unbanned IP's?

As a result, when the IP is not banned now multiple people can at least play. If the IP is banned, none of them can play, just like now. That would probably improve the situation for some people a bit (well, until someone on their IP gets the IP banned).

(Not sure how its currently is implemented, but might need to teach Jessica to be strict about which information is banned so it doesn't result in name bans for people which merely share a banned IP.)
Old 23-04-18, 09:15 PM   #5
sander
Group Manager
Game Servers Manager
Community Sponsor

sander is from Bemmel, Netherlands

sander is Male

Its not just bans as thats like you said just ip based, name or combination.
But the stats tracking of the bot like hours played and such are mainly recorded using IP.

the amount of IPv4 addresses is not a problem as they can't be double assigned, and the chance of getting a dynamic ip that is banned by is is more than 1 in a million.

As for now Matt is looking into options on how to fix this without breaking the admin bot.
If this can't be done before the weekend, we can disable the admin bot for the customs server as that is passworded it won't be a problem.
sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-18, 09:51 PM   #6
Black
Community Member

Black is Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander View Post
The amount of IPv4 addresses is not a problem as they can't be double assigned
I know, I was referring to the global IPv4 address exhaustion and it being a driving factor for an increased adoption of NAT.

Quote:
But the stats tracking of the bot like hours played and such are mainly recorded using IP.
Hm, I suppose that yields the same problem. If two players share an IP, and they both play on the servers and have an account here, even if they don't play at the same time (like right now, because they can't), the stats still have to be linked to names to keep them apart.

Either way, I was just suggesting we reduce the amount of functionality available for people whom play from the same IP. So, have shared bans, do not have statistics once a second player connects, et cetera. Sure, it's sad we can't have that, but I suppose for those players it is still preferable to no being able to play at all.

Anyway, looking forward to see what Matt comes up with. It's not a problem for me, but hope it can be improved for those facing it.
Old 24-04-18, 10:48 AM   #7
Tyrope
Group Senior Member

Tyrope is from United Kingdom

Tyrope is Male

Quote:
the amount of IPv4 addresses is not a problem as they can't be double assigned
The ISP I worked for is preparing to use 6-to-4 tunnelling to route multiple customers through the same IPv4, each having a specific IPv6, It's very much possible, through vLAN.