Special Operations Group

Special Operations Group (https://www.sog-team.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Community Lounge (https://www.sog-team.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Last Movie You Watched (https://www.sog-team.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=96)

Biodome 04-02-18 10:26 AM

Last Movie You Watched

I happen to be a big fan of cinema, so I make a point of watching at least one or two films each week, anything from the very beginnings of the technology in the early 20th century, all the way to modern times, and this year's releases.

There must be more movie enthusiasts besides me on this site, or, at the very least, people who casually watch films once in a while, so I made this thread for that purpose. Basically, once you have watched a film, post the title of it here. You can also write something more about it, impressions, etc. if you like.

This will let us know each other's tastes, and also work as a source of movie recommendations.

I'll start with: Singin' in the Rain (1952)

A local cinema close to where I live had acquired the 35mm film prints, so since I hadn't seen the film before, it was a must for me :D The Technicolor style was amazingly colourful, and the choreography was pretty much out of this world, and the best that I have seen to date. The songs are old, and the classical Hollywood romance formula is slightly dated, so it's not for everyone, but I am used to those things, and loved every single frame of it :D

DefCon5 04-02-18 12:03 PM

I know its a bit outdated, the last movie i watched is "Deadpool" it was the very first Marvel movie i really liked and im looking forward to "Deadpool 2" wich will be released on June 2018.
I just love dem Ninjaz :)

DC

Biodome 04-02-18 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefCon5 (Post 1055)
I know its a bit outdated, the last movie i watched is "Deadpool" it was the very first Marvel movie i really liked and im looking forward to "Deadpool 2" wich will be released on June 2018.
I just love dem Ninjaz :)

DC

Who doesn't love Ninjas? :D And Deadpool is definitely not outdated - I have heard from many friends, whose opinions I trust, that it's a good film. Personally, however, I haven't watched much of Marvel yet, so it's a hole I have to fix sooner or later :)

Anyway, I wanted to add another film here, as I just came back from a screening of The Mirror (1975) by Andrej Tarkovskij. It's the second film of his that I've seen (the first being Andrej Rubljov, but I can already tell that I am falling in love with this director. The film seems very loosely structured, but the way he uses imagery, sound, and symbolism makes it all feel deeply human.

I am currently reading those poems from the film with the help of my very basic knowledge of the language, and a Russian dictionary, to try and really understand all of it. I had a feeling that the English subtitles didn't do them enough justice - in any tongue there exist certain words and phrases whose nuances and strength one cannot simply translate to another language. It's always been an issue with foreign works.

Pendy 05-02-18 12:13 AM

I think the last movie i watched was "Pixels" it wasnt that bad.
I do recommend the movie "Prisoners" it's got Hugh Jackman in but it is from 2013. It's a Crime film/Thriller, i really enjoyed that.

KeeRIeS 05-02-18 12:59 AM

"Cicha noc" ("Silent Night") (2017). It's a polish movie showing life of a polish family leading rural life, where one of the two sons in family go abroad to work and live there. One day he comes back for Christmas Eve and then a problem between those two brothers seems to appear... I think it's worth seeing :)

Biodome 05-02-18 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendy (Post 1135)
I do recommend the movie "Prisoners" it's got Hugh Jackman in but it is from 2013. It's a Crime film/Thriller, i really enjoyed that.

I've seen that one, it's a great thriller! That's the film that convinced me to watch more of Denis Villeneuve - that director has got a really effective style of building tension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeeRIeS (Post 1140)
"Cicha noc" ("Silent Night") (2017). It's a polish movie showing life of a polish family leading rural life, where one of the two sons in family go abroad to work and live there. One day he comes back for Christmas Eve and then a problem between those two brothers seems to appear... I think it's worth seeing :)

I wonder how I could get my hands on that film. It doesn't seem to have been released anywhere outside of Poland, and I can't find any digital versions of it online.

Michael 05-02-18 09:51 AM

In theater, I last watched, The Last Jedi. It wasn't what I was expecting and was a let down for me personally, but I hope with JJ Abrams back in the director chair for the 9th main film, the last official one will be better.

Biodome 05-02-18 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 1155)
In theater, I last watched, The Last Jedi. It wasn't what I was expecting and was a let down for me personally, but I hope with JJ Abrams back in the director chair for the 9th main film, the last official one will be better.

The thread isn't limited to theaters - any medium is fine!

As an unconditional Star Wars fan, I found the last film enjoyable, but my inner critic did see many issues with it. I thought it was about average as films go (which is not enough for a Star Wars film), and it seemed worse than the Original trilogy. I loved the soundtrack though - got the CD immediately :D I also put a lot of hope in JJ Abrams now.

Bravo 05-02-18 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biodome (Post 1038)
I happen to be a big fan of cinema, so I make a point of watching at least one or two films each week, anything from the very beginnings of the technology in the early 20th century, all the way to modern times, and this year's releases.

There must be more movie enthusiasts besides me on this site, or, at the very least, people who casually watch films once in a while, so I made this thread for that purpose. Basically, once you have watched a film, post the title of it here. You can also write something more about it, impressions, etc. if you like.

This will let us know each other's tastes, and also work as a source of movie recommendations.

I'll start with: Singin' in the Rain (1952)

A local cinema close to where I live had acquired the 35mm film prints, so since I hadn't seen the film before, it was a must for me :D The Technicolor style was amazingly colourful, and the choreography was pretty much out of this world, and the best that I have seen to date. The songs are old, and the classical Hollywood romance formula is slightly dated, so it's not for everyone, but I am used to those things, and loved every single frame of it :D

Well someone he or she who's can say they known me, will never say I am some kind of cinemamaniac ! However it's not depends I hate movies. No nothing at all. The last movie I saw was Star Wars 8. For some kind of sci fanatic like me, it was a Heaven ! Sooner I also watched anykind of Marvells family like for example Avengers or Captain America. I think this kind o movies I like very much. In some way I haven't plan to see very good cinema movie ! Right now I'm concentrate on the episodes like for example Star Trek Discovery or Vikings !

Recon 05-02-18 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biodome (Post 1128)
Anyway, I wanted to add another film here, as I just came back from a screening of The Mirror (1975) by Andrej Tarkovskij. It's the second film of his that I've seen (the first being Andrej Rubljov, but I can already tell that I am falling in love with this director. The film seems very loosely structured, but the way he uses imagery, sound, and symbolism makes it all feel deeply human. [/COLOR]

I'd recommend Stalker (1979) by Andrej Tarkovskij based on the story "Picnic on the Roadside" by the Strugatsky brothers. Very deep movie, made big impression on me.

From the last movies in watch was Bright (2017) with Will Smith (not in the movie theater already)... was disappointed by movie, had great opinion about Will Smith, surprised he took a part in move like that. But mb i just didn't understood the movie fully ^^

KeeRIeS 05-02-18 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biodome (Post 1154)
I wonder how I could get my hands on that film. It doesn't seem to have been released anywhere outside of Poland, and I can't find any digital versions of it online.

Well, it will probably has its premiere on DVD soon. Also researched all polish Internet and no info for now. It is played in some cinemas with English subtitles but those are polish cinemas located in... Poland :D If you are interested I can check the Internet for some updates and let you know via PM when I find this one online :)

Biodome 05-02-18 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bravo (Post 1161)
For some kind of sci fanatic like me, it was a Heaven !

I didn't know you were a sci-fi fanatic! Seems like there are a lot of people on this site who are into the genre :D That's really cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon (Post 1163)

I'd recommend Stalker (1979) by Andrej Tarkovskij based on the story "Picnic on the Roadside" by the Strugatsky brothers. Very deep movie, made big impression on me.

Hopefully, that's the next Tarkovskij film I'm going to watch. Honestly, anything by him is now on my "essential to see" bucket list :D It's really one of my favourite directors from the non-anglophone world, along people like Kurosawa and Kaurismäki.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon (Post 1163)
From the last movies in watch was Bright (2017) with Will Smith (not in the movie theater already)... was disappointed by movie, had great opinion about Will Smith, surprised he took a part in move like that. But mb i just didn't understood the movie fully ^^

Yeah, I heard it was somewhat of a flop, and there were lots of polarized opinions on it. I haven't seen it myself, so can't really judge.

Biodome 05-02-18 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeeRIeS (Post 1166)
Well, it will probably has its premiere on DVD soon. Also researched all polish Internet and no info for now. It is played in some cinemas with English subtitles but those are polish cinemas located in... Poland :D If you are interested I can check the Internet for some updates and let you know via PM when I find this one online :)

I'd be grateful if you did! I know that small-scale release movies like that can be difficult to find for people in other countries. I've been hunting for some French films, some of which were released a year ago, and there are still no signs of them anywhere on the internet :D

Recon 05-02-18 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biodome (Post 1169)
I didn't know you were a sci-fi fanatic! Seems like there are a lot of people on this site who are into the genre :D That's really cool!
[/COLOR]

Sci-fi is one of the best genre, totally agree :)

But is there fanatics of horror movies ? ^^

I really like Insidious, the 1st and 2nd parts.

But this year was released Insidious 4 and it's totally crap - imho.

Tho it's very often when you like first parts of movie and than it become worst... :S

Biodome 05-02-18 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon (Post 1180)
But is there fanatics of horror movies ? ^^

I was recently exploring some of Dario Argento's films. I enjoyed Suspiria a lot. It's nothing special plot-wise, but the stylistic presentation is out of this world!

Hitchcock and Kubrick are also my favourites. From other horror classics, I could mention The Thing (which is also a sci-fi film), and I also randomly saw a Jaws t-shirt in a store a few weeks ago, which I, of course, had to get immediately :D

I am also into the mystery genre, which ties in well with horror. Films like Mulholland Drive, while not technically horror, have a really eerie and creepy atmosphere, which I like.

So it's mostly old classics that find a way to my heart. The most recent release I saw was It, but I personally found it slightly disappointing on the horror aspect.

Recon 05-02-18 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biodome (Post 1185)
The most recent release I saw was It, but I personally found it slightly disappointing on the horror aspect.

Ah, yes IT is great, but i liked the most the old one which was released at 1990... when i was a child could not watch it, was so scary :D

Biodome 05-02-18 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon (Post 1215)
Ah, yes IT is great, but i liked the most the old one which was released at 1990... when i was a child could not watch it, was so scary :D

I haven't seen the original one. Does Pennywise behave differently there? The problem that I had with It is that the clown was simply hilarious to me with all of his erratic and ridiculous movements :D I was actually chuckling in the theatre, which is not an emotion I wanted to experience during the scary parts of a horror movie.

Instead, I love that slow, inevitable horror, or something more surrealistic and Lovecraftian - that's what really gives me genuine creeps. Modern blockbuster films tend to rely a lot on jump scares and cheap clichés, which I feel is too temporary, and the fear they produce is kind of "fake", and jerky, and shallow, unless there is actually a strong plot and reasoning beneath it all.

Selena 05-02-18 10:16 PM

The last movie I saw at the cinema was probably Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and I was positively surprised to see Laura Dern in it, other than that I found the movie lacking.

But my "go to" movies are those of female on female romance, and if I were to point a few out, it would be:

Imagine Me & You (2005)

Lena Headey does a good role in it, though I might have a crush on her. It is light hearted and humorous modern day romance, yet it manages to keep you sympathetic to the husbands situation. Also, Giles (Anthony Head) from Buffy!

Desert Hearts (1985)

Helen Shaver! And... Helen Shaver! Gosh, she's gorgeous. Another romance, though this one is set in the 50's. Fun fact! Helen Shaver auditioned for the part as Katheryn Janeway in Star Trek: Voyager. I'm glad Kate Mulgrew got the part, but I would have still watched it with Helen Shaver in the Captain's seat.

If These Walls Could Talk 2

For some reason, this film plays on my emotions. I've seen the first of If These Walls Could Talk and it was themed with the evolution of abortion. This second film puts the spotlight on lesbian social rights in three different ages of 1961, 1972 and 2000. The first part of the film starring the elderly Vanessa Redgrave and Marian Seldes always hits me the hardest.

When someone says I belong in that age due to my taste in music, I just shudder at the social implications it would have for me. No, I am happy I live in modern times.

Honorary straight themed movie mention: I like Julianne Moore quite a bit, and she plays in a movie named Far From Heaven (2002), a lot of the same crew that made it, also made Carol (2015). Out of the two I'd watch Far From Heaven again. Dennis Haysbert is absolutely charming in it.

Biodome 05-02-18 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selena (Post 1237)
The last movie I saw at the cinema was probably Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and I was positively surprised to see Laura Dern in it, other than that I found the movie lacking.

But my "go to" movies are those of female on female romance, and if I were to point a few out, it would be:

Imagine Me & You (2005)

Lena Headey does a good role in it, though I might have a crush on her. It is light hearted and humorous modern day romance, yet it manages to keep you sympathetic to the husbands situation. Also, Giles (Anthony Head) from Buffy!

Desert Hearts (1985)

Helen Shaver! And... Helen Shaver! Gosh, she's gorgeous. Another romance, though this one is set in the 50's. Fun fact! Helen Shaver auditioned for the part as Katheryn Janeway in Star Trek: Voyager. I'm glad Kate Mulgrew got the part, but I would have still watched it with Helen Shaver in the Captain's seat.

If These Walls Could Talk 2

For some reason, this film plays on my emotions. I've seen the first of If These Walls Could Talk and it was themed with the evolution of abortion. This second film puts the spotlight on lesbian social rights in three different ages of 1961, 1972 and 2000. The first part of the film starring the elderly Vanessa Redgrave and Marian Seldes always hits me the hardest.

When someone says I belong in that age due to my taste in music, I just shudder at the social implications it would have for me. No, I am happy I live in modern times.

Honorary straight themed movie mention: I like Julianne Moore quite a bit, and she plays in a movie named Far From Heaven (2002), a lot of the same crew that made it, also made Carol (2015). Out of the two I'd watch Far From Heaven again. Dennis Haysbert is absolutely charming in it.

Never seen any of these, so something to add to my watchlist :) Thank you!

SpyInBlack 05-02-18 11:45 PM

Watched most of the movies here :D

Im currently watching X Files and i must say they are pretty good. Even tho they are old like hell it self.

Biodome 05-02-18 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyInBlack (Post 1243)
Watched most of the movies here :D

Im currently watching X Files and i must say they are pretty good. Even tho they are old like hell it self.

X-Files don't age - it's a great show! :D I've seen just a few episodes, however, as they were airing on the TV, but I'll probably watch the whole thing as soon as I find the time :D

Recon 06-02-18 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biodome (Post 1245)
X-Files don't age - it's a great show! :D I've seen just a few episodes, however, as they were airing on the TV, but I'll probably watch the whole thing as soon as I find the time :D

X-Files don't age :amen:
Tho don't forget there is a short tenth season consisting of six episodes premiered on January 24, 2016... but didn't finish to watch that one, form the first couple parts seemed for me they changed the idea of movie (everything what happens it's coz of government undercover stuff.. hmm), couldn't watch that.

In old seasons you always stayed on the edge thinking of the reasons of happening (The truth is out there) :pray2:

Selena 06-02-18 01:45 PM

I watched the X-Files... I loved the X-Files. I think I only missed a handful of episodes. But going back is hard to do. I watched the pilot again, and... It doesn't hold up well. But, there are some REALLY awesome episodes. Too bad they ended the show with such terrible episodes at the end. DKS, my first SWAT clan was actually a short for Dana Katherine Scully. *laughs* No one knew that back then and we made up something else.

Mulder has a middle name too. *smirks* Who can tell me what it is without cheating? Hehe.

Recon 07-02-18 04:10 PM

Yesterday watched a new movie Downsizing with Matt Damon... ehm so disaapointed, againe...
Mb someone here already watched and can tell something good about it?
Coz i just regret wasting 2 and a half hours of my life :S

Selena 07-02-18 04:18 PM

Watched Liz in September (2014) again today. I tend to like dialogues better in spanish speaking films and shows. Feels more fluid. *shrugs*

Biodome 11-02-18 11:36 AM

Ingmar Bergman, a famous Swedish director, was born 100 years ago, so lots of his work is screening at the moment as a result. I went to see The Seventh Seal (1957), which made him renowned worldwide. The film is old, but the poetic allegories of life and death are still very resonant and cinematically beautiful. Set in the late Middle Ages, just around the time of the Plague epidemic in Europe, it's a deep clash between the grim philosophy of memento mori, and the search for value and meaning in living. As I am into these sort of existentialist and religious discussions, the experience was quite enjoyable.

Also, it's a goldmine for quotes - you can pick between nice and thoughtful, or completely crazy :D

Biodome 04-03-18 08:57 PM

Watched 6 films in the last two weeks, some recent releases, some older, mostly from the sci-fi genre. I'll list them in the order I saw them. It's a long post - sorry for that, but I didn't feel like posting 6 times, lest I be accused of spamming :D
  1. The Post (2017)

As much as I love Spielberg's storytelling and the way he develops his characters, this one, for me, was a slight let-down. The film does shine in some scenes, and it even gave me emotional shivers a couple of times, but I didn't feel that it was consistently engaging. All of the running around in offices and interviews just became boring after a while. It was well-received worldwide, though, so don't take my word for it - it's even got two Academy Awards nominations!

2. Arrival (2016)

Having seen Villeneuve's Prisoners and Blade Runner 2049, I promised myself to watch every single film the director has ever made :D So once I saw that Arrival was screening, I had to go there immediately. And it's definitely a great piece of cinema, in my opinion. The structure sort of reminded me of Nolan's Memento, but, of course, this film takes a look at completely different themes. As a sci-fi fan, I enjoyed it immensely, and it encouraged me to continue on my mission :D

3. Ikarie XB-1 (1963)

This one is a lesser known example of the early sci-fi genre, and it was made in Czechoslovakia. The English version of the film, which is slightly shorter and with a different ending, is more popular, but the cinema where I watched it at, got it in its original, Czech version. Through international effort a couple of years ago, it was actually restored from its original negative, and screened in 4K format. Looked crisp and clear. The film itself is pretty good, and the visual technique was beautiful. I remember a scene with a derelict spaceship, full of dead people - it was so detailed, vivid and eerie - I still haven't seen anything like it in modern films. In summary, it's sci-fi done right, and while I would critique its inconsistent pacing at times, I enjoyed it.

4. The Shape of Water (2017)

Everyone has been talking about this one for a while, and the 13 Academy Award nominations pretty much forced me to see it. The story is weird, but in a good way, which, I suppose, is a typical way to describe Guillermo del Toro's films :D Very stylized, great visual technique and music, purposeful use of color, and the acting has exceeded my wildest expectations. The protagonist and the villain were done exceptionally well, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the film took home several of its well-deserved Oscars.

5. Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

I've seen Blade Runner 2049 already during it's October premiere, and I did love it back then. I couldn't find a valid reason not to re-watch it once more, as it was screening this month, and I loved it even more :D People sometimes say that sequels that are built on classic masterpieces are just a cheap money-grabbing strategy, but when you've got a director like Villeneuve on board, there is lots of room for exceptions. Again, he makes great pieces of cinema, and his style works really well with the sci-fi genre in general.

6. Superman (1978)

I'm going to outright say that I didn't like Superman, although I recognize it will probably be an unpopular opinion, considering its huge success at the time and its extensive legacy. Some say it belongs to a holy trinity of films that inspired the sci-fi renaissance of the 80s (the other two being Lucas' Star Wars, and Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind). But I just think that the film didn't age well, both technically/visually, and story-wise, unlike its contemporaries. Felt like watching a mix of bad production and writing clichés. On the bright side, I loved John Williams' score, so if I ever touch anything related to that film in the future, it will probably be the Original Soundtrack CD :D

By the way, this year's Academy Awards ceremony will begin in just a few hours, for those who are interested. Admittedly, that's not the most convenient time for us in Europe. All of the Oscar winners will be known by morning.

Orion 05-03-18 05:19 PM

Uh Blade runner! Rewatched it few times and still lot of emotions every time :)

SAS_Random 10-03-18 09:22 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy, Part 2

Selena 13-05-18 02:31 AM

I'm looking forwards to watching Disobedience with Rachel Weisz and Rachel McAdams. Not sure when I will though.

But I found this short the other day and I really felt bad for the guy:

Youtube Video

Imagine being trapped with such cowardice... *sighs*

Orion 21-08-18 06:27 PM

Uh just watched 'UPGRADE' on holy smokes it rocks!

Youtube Video

Hailerer 14-09-18 06:06 PM

I just watched Gran Torino a few days ago, I can really say that it defenetly is one of the best movies I#ve watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMhbr2XQblk