PDA

View Full Version : SOG is popular...

Matt
31-01-18, 10:11 AM
So,

As you know we are intending to claim back the sog-team.com domain later this year.

However as it is currently owned by a domain broker, they have snapped it up as they consider it a "premium domain".

What is a premium domain you ask?

"Premium domain names are short, memorable, easy-to-spell names that end in a popular extension like .com. These domains tend to cost a lot more than normal domains, because they are more likely to drive traffic to a website.
Premium domain names are high quality domains that have already been registered, but are available for sale at a premium price. The price of a premium domain name varies according to quality; many sell for hundreds or even thousands of dollars."

So... clearly because we were very popular and still are, the domain has been bought by a broker currently selling our old domain for £450 / 460 euros!

Anyone feeling rich to buy it back?????

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/order/domain?X-CSRF-Token=01e0d13f5267e295f4b00f20c287ad02075b881a&domain=sog-team.com

:lol:

Recon
31-01-18, 10:21 AM
Wow what a price !

Couldn't you sell domain before closing SOG in 2012? :p you would earn some money ^^

Spec
31-01-18, 10:34 AM
Eh, do we really need a .com domain? We could just stick with .co.uk or go with something entirely different. Noone really enters websites by typing out the domain nowadys anyway, it's all links and google, so the domain ending doesn't really matter all that much, does it?

Tyrope
31-01-18, 10:35 AM
Registry Expiry Date 2018-04-01T18:31:10Z
Perhaps they'll let it expire...

Matt
31-01-18, 12:22 PM
Eh, do we really need a .com domain? We could just stick with .co.uk or go with something entirely different. Noone really enters websites by typing out the domain nowadys anyway, it's all links and google, so the domain ending doesn't really matter all that much, does it?Indeed, we don't. More out of interest as the .co.uk was our original home, and still is.

I think just is the opportunity came up, the .com is a nice addition, as we have multiple nationalities here and it's more universal.
As you say though, no real need!

I was more amazed at the price.....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Freeezer
31-01-18, 12:28 PM
Donations please ?! ?! :)

C.A.B.A.L.
31-01-18, 12:41 PM
Donations please ?! ?! :)

Yeah! where is my donation ? :(

Tyrope
31-01-18, 02:04 PM
I mean, worst case we can go .org, after all, we're an organization of sorts. ;)

Biodome
31-01-18, 02:12 PM
I don't mind the .co.uk domain. Britain > USA anyways, because they have better tea traditions, and I am in love with dishes like the Full English Breakfast :p

Nicoleise
31-01-18, 04:39 PM
So,

As you know we are intending to claim back the sog-team.com domain later this year.

However as it is currently owned by a domain broker, they have snapped it up as they consider it a "premium domain".

What is a premium domain you ask?

"Premium domain names are short, memorable, easy-to-spell names that end in a popular extension like .com. These domains tend to cost a lot more than normal domains, because they are more likely to drive traffic to a website.
Premium domain names are high quality domains that have already been registered, but are available for sale at a premium price. The price of a premium domain name varies according to quality; many sell for hundreds or even thousands of dollars."

So... clearly because we were very popular and still are, the domain has been bought by a broker currently selling our old domain for £450 / 460 euros!

Anyone feeling rich to buy it back?????

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/order/domain?X-CSRF-Token=01e0d13f5267e295f4b00f20c287ad02075b881a&domain=sog-team.com

:lol:

1st, I would second Tyrope - put a reminder in your calendar at the expiry date and have a look.

2nd, if not and if you actually want the domain, I think you can report the current owner to the domain registrar; atleast in Denmark it's not legal to speculate in domains. Their text is solid evidence that that is exactly what they are doing. The law was made to ensure democracy on the internet, instead of corporations snatching up every good domain out there and charging a premium. So in likelyhood, the rule exists elsewhere than Denmark as well. :)

For what it's worth, even though my fingers trip to add an extra period in a domain (co.uk) over the "normal" TLDs, I don't think we need the .com either. :D

Ninwes
31-01-18, 04:48 PM
What that's all, SOG in unpayable :p

sander
31-01-18, 05:07 PM
What that's all, SOG in unpayable :p

what wes said also don't think .com is needed and our roots are .co.uk

KeeRIeS
31-01-18, 08:15 PM
1st, I would second Tyrope - put a reminder in your calendar at the expiry date and have a look.

2nd, if not and if you actually want the domain, I think you can report the current owner to the domain registrar; atleast in Denmark it's not legal to speculate in domains. Their text is solid evidence that that is exactly what they are doing. The law was made to ensure democracy on the internet, instead of corporations snatching up every good domain out there and charging a premium. So in likelyhood, the rule exists elsewhere than Denmark as well. :)

For what it's worth, even though my fingers trip to add an extra period in a domain (co.uk) over the "normal" TLDs, I don't think we need the .com either. :D

As the self-appointed PR manager of SOG (LOL, the job around our media social accounts is almost done and soon it will look good enough to show you the effects of it anyways :D ) I think a fight against this company and spreading a word in European or even American TV programs would become a great advertisement :D Maybe worth considering (just kidding :) - or maybe...)

Pendy
31-01-18, 10:46 PM
Wow i didnt know that and i didnt know it would cost so much too.

KeeRIeS
31-01-18, 11:03 PM
Wow i didnt know that and i didnt know it would cost so much too.

Hmmm... What is your first 'didn't know' about as the whole thread is about the cost of the domain, which is the second 'didn't know', I think :D :)

Pendy
31-01-18, 11:12 PM
Hmmm... What is your first 'didn't know' about as the whole thread is about the cost of the domain, which is the second 'didn't know', I think :D :)

I didnt know any of it, its all new to me. Well you learn something new everyday :)

Freeezer
01-02-18, 07:48 AM
I made donation :) so now it 455 GBP to go :)

Matt
02-02-18, 09:04 AM
I made donation :) so now it 455 GBP to go :)Lol.... I think I'll pass on the .com domain... I'm not lining someone else's pocket for our old domain... Cheats

However thank you, donations nonetheless always appreciated

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Recon
04-02-18, 09:20 AM
Btw, about donations...

Is it possible to use only PayPal? It's kinda possible for me (Crimean, Sanctions and so on...)

I am able to use Webmoney, mb it's possible to add this option to donate to the server?

Matt
04-02-18, 10:04 PM
Btw, about donations...

Is it possible to use only PayPal? It's kinda possible for me (Crimean, Sanctions and so on...)

I am able to use Webmoney, mb it's possible to add this option to donate to the server?

Do they ban PayPal in Russia?

Well other than that, have only got IBAN as an option right now. I will look into the webmoney option and let you know

Recon
05-02-18, 02:34 AM

Well other than that, have only got IBAN as an option right now. I will look into the webmoney option and let you knowIn Russia it isn't ban, but in Crimea a lot of that stuff is under sanctions ( PayPal, Moneybookers, even Blizzard ... And so on)

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Nicoleise
06-02-18, 04:17 PM

It's one of those things, that I think you have to be a top level politician to understand.

You probably recall the Ukrainian Revolution that took place in February of 2014, and then the Russian annexation of Crimea that followed?

That was derrived from a controversial referendum, of which the official result was a majority support for joining Russia. The referendum was controversial because it was held after unmarked Russian forces with local militias took over the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and Sevestopol, as well as other localities in the region.

The issue at its core is, that following this referendum, Putin signed a treaty of accession, essentially annexing Crimea. Russia thus considers Crimea to be Russian and according to the Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, Crimea has been fully integrated into Russia. This statement also stands to reason; rubles are the only legal tender, and a revision version of the Russian Constitution included Crimea and Sevestopol in the list of federal subjects of the Russian Federation, already two months after the Ukrainian Revolution.

On the other side of the dispute stands Ukraine, who disputes the annexation, considering it illegal. The United Nations share this view, asking states not to recognise changes to the integrity of Ukraine.

As a result, the EU collectively, USA, Canada, Norway, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and a host of other countries have imposed sanctions on Russia. Of course, this has prompted Russia to implement various sanctions such as the ban on food imports from the EU, USA, Norway, Canada and Australia.

So far, everything makes fairly decent sense, in that disconnected, big-politics kinda way. But then this is where my chain falls off;

Canada, USA, EU and some other European countries have imposed economic sanctions specifically targetting Crimea. These sanctions prohibit the sale, supply, transfer or export of goods and technology in several sectors. For example, VISA and MasterCard ceased service in Crimea for half a year.

Many of these sanctions are still in place. The companies, who ceased service in Crimea during the crisis include such companies as Apple (app store, retail), VISA, Mastercard, Google (Chrome, Play, Adsense), Dell, HP, Valve (Steam), McDonalds, Blizzard Entertainment, Paypal, eBay, Amazon.com.

The consequense remain, that a vast array of services have been unavailable in Crimea, and that many services still are, as a result of sanctions that targets Crimea specifically, rather than "just" Russia as a whole. This is the explaination, why something may not be banned in Russia, yet it's banned in Crimea.

Biodome
06-02-18, 05:04 PM
Canada, USA, EU and some other European countries have imposed economic sanctions specifically targetting Crimea. These sanctions prohibit the sale, supply, transfer or export of goods and technology in several sectors. For example, VISA and MasterCard ceased service in Crimea for half a year.

Many of these sanctions are still in place. The companies, who ceased service in Crimea during the crisis include such companies as Apple (app store, retail), VISA, Mastercard, Google (Chrome, Play, Adsense), Dell, HP, Valve (Steam), McDonalds, Blizzard Entertainment, Paypal, eBay, Amazon.com.

What's even the official reasoning behind this, if it doesn't target Russia, but, rather, causes problems just for Crimeans alone? Or did they remove services just for fear of instability regarding the region?

Nicoleise
06-02-18, 07:24 PM
What's even the official reasoning behind this, if it doesn't target Russia, but, rather, causes problems just for Crimeans alone? Or did they remove services just for fear of instability regarding the region?

You'd have to dig through a lot of really boring documents to attempt to find a reasonable answer to that question, I fear. They are sanctions though, so they are not implemented out of fear of instability, but rather as punishment.

The EU had this to say, when they extended the sanctions till July 2018 (my emphasis):
On 19 June 2017, the Council extended the restrictive measures in response to the illegal annexation of Crimea and Sevastopol by Russia until 23 June 2018.

The measures apply to EU persons and EU based companies. They are limited to the territory of Crimea and Sevastopol. The sanctions include prohibitions on:

imports of products originating in Crimea or Sevastopol into the EU;
investment in Crimea or Sevastopol, meaning that no Europeans nor EU-based companies can buy real estate or entities in Crimea, finance Crimean companies or supply related services;
tourism services in Crimea or Sevastopol, in particular, European cruise ships cannot call at ports in the Crimean peninsula, except in case of emergency;
exports of certain goods and technologies to Crimean companies or for use in Crimea in the transport, telecommunications and energy sectors and related to the prospection, exploration and production of oil, gas and mineral resources. Technical assistance, brokering, construction or engineering services related to infrastructure in these sectors must not be provided either.

As stated in the declaration by the High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy on behalf of the EU on 17 March 2017, the EU continues to condemn the illegal annexation of Crimea and Sevastopol by the Russian Federation and remains committed to fully implement its non-recognition policy.

Link: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2017/06/19/crimea-sevastopol-eu-extends-sanctions/

You'll probably note the complete absense of any reasoning or justification. At the bottom of the page, they placed a link reading "Is there something wrong with this page?" and I'm tempted to click it and write "IT EXPLAINS NOTHING!!!" :D

Biodome
06-02-18, 07:49 PM
You'll probably note the complete absense of any reasoning or justification. At the bottom of the page, they placed a link reading "Is there something wrong with this page?" and I'm tempted to click it and write "IT EXPLAINS NOTHING!!!" :D

I mean, based on how EU politics work, there must have been some sort of debate and voting on this, so I'd expect there to exist some reasoning buried beneath it all.

I've heard that Crimea is a strategically and economically important location to Russia due to the naval ports and military bases located there, so I'd speculate that these sanctions weaken the region and put a larger burden on Russia to support it. Maybe they decided that extending those sanctions to the whole of Russia might not be feasible in some way or another? I have no idea why though. Perhaps some of the information is even classified.

Foreign policy is such a complicated field, and often with little to no transparency. It's interesting to think about how the whole conflict might develop, and if there will ever be a resolution to it. It seems sort of frozen right now. I haven't even checked how the military situation is in Eastern Ukraine. International/Mainstream media doesn't report on it anymore, from what I have seen, compared to when it all began.

sander
06-02-18, 08:08 PM
the sanctions began with Crimea and where intensified after flight MH17 that was shot down with a buck rocket from Russia or Ukraine.

TimC
06-02-18, 11:14 PM
I think just having the current domain is good. The .com domain would be nice as it is more of a primary domain since it is .com, or at least it used to be that is why .com domains are usually more than the others. Considered "prime" real estate of the internet if you will.

Other than that I think with the proper setup of the site with search engines and other things like social media we can do will be just fine. :)

Nicoleise
07-02-18, 02:08 PM
I mean, based on how EU politics work, there must have been some sort of debate and voting on this, so I'd expect there to exist some reasoning buried beneath it all.

I've heard that Crimea is a strategically and economically important location to Russia due to the naval ports and military bases located there, so I'd speculate that these sanctions weaken the region and put a larger burden on Russia to support it. Maybe they decided that extending those sanctions to the whole of Russia might not be feasible in some way or another? I have no idea why though. Perhaps some of the information is even classified.

Foreign policy is such a complicated field, and often with little to no transparency. It's interesting to think about how the whole conflict might develop, and if there will ever be a resolution to it. It seems sort of frozen right now. I haven't even checked how the military situation is in Eastern Ukraine. International/Mainstream media doesn't report on it anymore, from what I have seen, compared to when it all began.

I imagine it's difficult to have an open and transparent debate about foreign policy without also making concessions. Countries doesn't like imposing sanctions, because they - in most cases - hurt themselves as much as the adversary, and because sanctions are famed for their inefficiency.

At the same time, it's important to understand that the goal of sanctions is to "win an argument" and get current conditions fulfilled. The goal isn't to defeat an adversary. For this reason, one must also take care not to cause instability in excess of what would be proportionate to the object of the dispute - or (because again; sanctions work both ways) yourself!

For these reasons, I imagine that the applied reasoning could be such as; if we impose these sanctions on the entirety of Russia, rather than "only" Crimea and Sevastopol, then...

...we'll be damaging our export market
...we will risk destabilisation of Russia
...we will risk destabilisation of the EU (for example, if Russia turns of the supply of gas to Europe, while Europe is technically selfsufficient in gas, the prices of gas would rise dramatically, affecting domestic and commercial heating, production and mobility)

Finally, sanctions will also have to produce a tolerable outcome for both sides. That is to say; while sanctions may be imposed, noone wishes for that to turn into a war. The Japaneese Attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7th, 1941 is a good example on the consequences of sanctions, that were (intentionally or not) too strong to "work".

Russia was already struggling with macroeconomic challenges, particularly caused by a decline in oil prices in the later 2014. The sanctions combined with the decline in oil prices essentially sent Russia into recession with a GDP growth of -2,2% in Q1 2015. When Russia responded by banning the import of "western" food, in combination with the decline of the Rouble, the prices of food rose, and essentially the inflation was worsened.

I don't think the sanctions are at all related to military strategic value. While it's true that Russia has and have had naval bases in the region, sanctions would be largely ineffective against that.

Biodome
07-02-18, 02:33 PM
For these reasons, I imagine that the applied reasoning could be such as; if we impose these sanctions on the entirety of Russia, rather than "only" Crimea and Sevastopol, then...

...we'll be damaging our export market
...we will risk destabilisation of Russia
...we will risk destabilisation of the EU (for example, if Russia turns of the supply of gas to Europe, while Europe is technically selfsufficient in gas, the prices of gas would rise dramatically, affecting domestic and commercial heating, production and mobility)

That makes sense. I agree with you that Crimean sanctions are possibly just a way for the EU to make an explicit ideological stance on the conflict, rather than something designed to force the issue. Destabilizing Russian economy does indeed seem slightly unrealistic, although I've heard from pro-Ukrainian sources that "the Russian economy is failing" and that "the current international sanctions are extremely effective, and we need more of them". Then again, you'd expect those kinds of sources to be supportive of the EU.

It's funny that we've managed to completely derail this nice thread on the .com domain, though :p

Recon
07-02-18, 03:55 PM
Sorry, to continue this untopic dialoge... can't stay quite in the discussion like that

I would agree with Nico poiting that those sanctions looks more as punishment to poeple who lives in Crimea. Otherwise they would be set against the whole country.
And after 4 years i still don't understand for what would crimeans ppl be punished if the whole world believes Russia annexed the pininsula withouht support of the ppl who lives here.
These political tricks always were a secret for me...

O'Neill
09-02-18, 01:41 AM
I think the co.uk domain should stay. It's always been the domain I remember about this site. Lots of good times were had.

MaPsTaR
21-06-18, 10:29 PM
Still interested? Seems to be free now:

KeeRIeS
21-06-18, 10:38 PM
https://cart.godaddy.com

sog-team.com here much cheaper :)

SAS_Random
21-06-18, 11:50 PM
Not entirely a bad idea to just buy it--even if you don't use it right away.

Matt
22-06-18, 06:46 AM
Not entirely a bad idea to just buy it--even if you don't use it right away.It's ours now. Thanks for the heads up [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SAS_Random
28-08-18, 12:34 PM
SOG servers have been like the sound of crickets in the night. Where is everyone?

Matt
28-08-18, 12:51 PM
SOG servers have been like the sound of crickets in the night. Where is everyone?On holiday :) I'll be back in server tonight

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sander
28-08-18, 02:44 PM
SOG servers have been like the sound of crickets in the night. Where is everyone?

in bed sleeping :P